Tuesday 15 August 2017

Doing funny things with lines

I've tried all kinds of art and craft from felting and crochet through to painting and pastels. Part of the fun is just having a go and seeing what happens, but eventually you have to focus in on something if you're ever going to grow and develop.

I'm not sure I'm ready for that just yet, but I've been trying to spot the threads running through what I enjoy the most. So far I've got...

  • Simple, graphic-style line drawings (or woolly things!) 
  • Not much perspective, a lot of 2D
  • Making a connection with people - a smile, a nod, a memory. If I'm really lucky, a laugh.

I've also found creating something daily is incredibly useful for trying new techniques and coming up with new ideas. Over the summer I'm putting all of this together and posting cartoons on Instagram

I used to do little drawings as a teenager - I thought nothing of it at the time, I was just messing about with the kids at school. But it's great fun to be having another go and to be able to share them online.

Here are my first few...


A post shared by Helen Lindop (@helenlindop) on
A post shared by Helen Lindop (@helenlindop) on
I know, very silly.

With a daily thing like this some work well and some are duds, but each time I've tried it I've learned loads. It's well worth a try if you fancy it.

Update: I've really struggled to draw daily so far because of life in general getting in the way. But I'm doing my best and staying relaxed about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment